To apply for M/WBE Certification, you must meet the following eligibility standards:
1. The Business must be at least 51% majority owned and controlled by a woman or racial/ethnic minority (note: racial/ethnic minorities are African American, Hispanic American, Asian Pacific American, Subcontinent Asian American or Native American).
2. Minority and/or women owners must be citizens of the United States or Permanent Residents of the United States.
3. The Business must be:
· Independently owned and operated
· Located in the United States and not be dominant in its field on a national basis
· Operated primarily within the United States or making a contribution to the U.S. economy through the payment of taxes or use of American products, materials or labor
4. The Business (including any affiliates) must not exceed the applicable size standards for its industry. For a complete list of standards, refer to http://www.sba.gov/content/table-small-business-size-standards. (Note: affiliates are business concerns and entities in which the women or minority owners hold an ownership interest or have the power to exercise control—directly or indirectly through a third party—over the business concern or entity.)
5. The minority or women owners must have owned and operated the Business for at least a full year (365 days) either calendar or fiscal. In addition, the business must have been continuously operating for at least one year.
6. The minority or women owners must have filed a federal Business tax return consisting of a full year (365 days), either calendar or fiscal. In addition, the current minority or women owners must have filed federal business and personal tax returns for the most recently completed tax year.
7. Out-of-State Businesses ONLY: An out-of-state business must apply to the Kentucky MWBE program using the same business name under which it has been certified by a governmental certifying entity in the state where the principal place of business is located. The Business must possess current certification as a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE), Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) or Women Business Enterprise (WBE) from its home state, (i.e. the state where the principal place of business is located). Further, the governmental certifying body in the state where your principal place of business is located must have conducted an Onsite Review/Visit (physically done at your place of business) within the past three (3) years.
Note: Non-Profit Organizations should contact the Finance and Administration Cabinet, Office of EEO/Contract Compliance at 502-564-8099 or Finance.MWBE@ky.gov for assistance and further instructions.